Lesson Plan: The Ukrainian Famine/Genocide
Short story from: A Hunger Most Cruel, Olena Zvychayna
“ Without Doctors and Priests, without Graves and Crosses” ………… p.273 - p.284
Prepared by Oksana Kuryliw
Lesson Plan: Daily Life During the Ukrainian Famine/Genocide
1. Introduction: Show an excerpt from “Harvest of Despair” DVD, showing conditions of life inEastern Ukrainian villages in 1933. Specific attention should be placed on the plight of childrenduring the Famine/Genocide. A discussion on conditions of life and human rights of Ukrainians inSoviet Ukraine should follow by using a mind-mapping diagram.
2. Each student is to select one short story from the 2 resources listed above.
They are to read the story and then complete the chart enclosed. Instructions: Many important events took place in the story. Select the 5 events that you consider to be most significant and list them in the order in which they happened.
Of these events, which do you think is the:
3. Place yourself as the main character in the story, write a letter to your aunt, explaining yourfeelings about your situation. (1 page)
4. Students are asked to depict their impressions of the story by drawing an image that most depicts how they felt, and write a one sentence caption to explain their drawing.
5. What do you think will be the consequences of these events on the life of the main character inthe story? Select 2 possible scenarios.
Prepared by Valentina Kuryliw
Short Story on the Ukrainian Famine-Genocide - The Holodomor
From A Hunger Most Cruel or Kobzar’s Children, “The Rings” (excerpt) :
Title of story: _________________________________________________________________
Description of the main character: ________________________________________________
Main Plot: __________________________________________________________________
Living Conditions: ____________________________________________________________
Victims were: _______________________________________________________________
Perpetrators were: __________________________________________________________
Henchmen were: ___________________________________________________________
Bystanders/Observers were: __________________________________________________
Rescuers were: ____________________________________________________________
Examples of Human Rights Abuse:
Examples of Discrimination:
Effect on human condition:
Two key items I learned from the story were: