DECREE OF THE GOVERNMENT OF USSR CONDEMNING UKRAINIZATION FOR DIFFICULTIES IN GRAIN PROCUREMENT
December 14, 1932
Not for publication.
On hearing the reports of Comrades Rumiantsev, Secretary of the Western Oblast Party Committee, Kosior, Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communista Party (bolshevik) of Ukraine [CC KP(b)U], Stroganov, Secretary of the Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Party Committee, and Sheboldaev, Secretary of the Northern Caucasus Territory Party Committee, the Central Committee of the All-Russian Communist Party (bolshevik) [CC VKP(b)] and the Council of Peoples' Commissars [SNK] of USSR decree:
- Oblige the CC KP(b)U and the Sovnarkom [SNK] of the Ukrainian SSR, on the personal responsibility of Comrades Kosior and Chubar, to fully complete the grain and sunflower seed procurement plan by the end of January 1933.
- Oblige the Northern Caucasus Territory Party and Executive Committees, on the personal responsibility of Comrades Sheboldaev and Larin, to fully complete the procurement plan for grain by Jan. 10-15, 1933, and for sunflower need by the end of January.
- Oblige the Western Oblast Party and Executive Committees, on the personal responsibility of Comrades Rumiantsev and Shelekhes, to fully complete the procurement plan for grain by Jan. 1, 1933, and for flax by Feb. 1, 1933.
- Due to the extremely poor efforts and the absence of revolutionary vigilance in a number of local party organizations in Ukraine and the Northern Caucasus, a significant part of their raions has been infiltrated by counterrevolutionary elements—kulaks, former officers, Petliurites, supporters of the Kuban Rada, etc. They have managed to find their way into collective farms as directors and other influential members of administration, accountants, storekeepers, foremen at threshing floors, etc. They have succeeded in infiltrating village soviets, land management bodies, cooperative societies and are now trying to direct the work of these organizations contrary to the interests of the proletarian state and the party policy, as well as to organize a counterrevolutionary movement and the sabotage of the harvest and sowing campaigns. The CC VKP(b) and SNK USSR oblige the CC KP(b)U, Northern Caucausus Territory Party and Executive Committees, and the SNK of Ukraine to resolutely extirpate these counterrevolutionary elements by means of arrests, long-term deportation to concentration camps, without stopping short of capital punishment for the most malicious of these elements.
- The CC and SNK instruct party and government organizations of the Soviet Union that the worst enemies of the party, working class, and collective farm peasantry are saboteurs of grain procurement who have party membership cards in their pockets. To please kulaks and other anti-Soviet elements, they organize state fraud, double-dealing, and the failure of of the tasks set by the party and government. The CC and SNK oblige the appropriate bodies to apply to these renegades and enemies of the Soviet power and collective farms, who still have party membership cards in their pockets, severe repressions, five- to ten-year deportation to concentration camps, and, under certain circumstances, execution by shooting.
- The CC and SNK point out that instead of correct Bolshevik-style implementation of the national policy, in a number of raions in Ukraine Ukrainization was carried out mechanically, without taking into consideration the peculiarities of every raion and without meticulous selection of the Bolshevik cadre. This made it easier for bourgeois-nationalist elements, Petliurites and others, to create their legal cover-ups and counterrevolutionary cells and organizations.
- In particular, the CC and SNK point out to the Party and the Executive Committees of the Northern Caucasus Territory that the irresponsible, non-Bolshevik "Ukrainization", which affected nearly half of the raions in the Northern Caucasus, was at variance with the cultural interests of the population. It was carried out with the complete lack of supervision on the part of territorial agencies over the Ukrainization of schools and the press, and provided the enemies of the Soviet power with a legal cover for organizing resistance to the Soviet authorities’ endeavors s and undertakings on the part of kulaks, officers, Cossack resettlers, members of the Kuban Rada, etc.
In order to crush the resistance to grain procurement by kulak elements and their "party" and non-party flunkeys, the CC and SNK USSR decree:
a. In the shortest time transfer to the northern oblasts of the USSR the entire population of the most counterrevolutionary Poltavs'ka stanitsa [Cossack village] — (Northern Caucasus), with the exception of collective and individual farmers who are truly loyal to the Soviet power and have not been implicated in grain procurement sabotage. Populate this stanitsa with conscientious collective farmers who have served in the Red Army and are now working in other territories that suffer from the shortage and poor quality of land. Transfer to these settlers all the lands, winter crops, buildings, equipment, and cattle of the farmers being expelled.
Comrades Yagoda, Gamarnik (with Bulygin as substitute), Sheboldaev, and Yevdokimov shall be responsible for implementing this resolution (section a).
b. Prosecute and sentence to five to ten years in concentration camps the traitors of the party who were arrested in Ukraine for organizing the sabotage of grain procurement: former rayon secretaries, chairmen of executive committees, directors of land management bodies, chairmen of raion association of collective farms. Namely: for Orikhiv raion — Golovin, Phyhoda, Palamarchuk, Ordelian, Lutsenko; Balakliia raion — Khoroshko, Us, Fishman; Nosiv raion —Yaremenko; Kobeliaky raion — Liashenko; Velykyi Tokmak raion — Lensky, Kosiachenko, Dvornik, Zyka, and Dolgov.
c. On a level with the kulaks, exile to northern oblasts all former communists who were expelled from the party for sabotaging the sowing and grain procurement campaigns.
d. Make a proposal to the CC KP(b)U and SNK of Ukraine to pay serious attention to the proper implementation of Ukrainization, eliminate its mechanical implementation, expel Petliurite and other bourgeois-nationalist elements from party and government organizations, meticulously select and raise Ukrainian Bolshevik cadre, and ensure systematic party management and supervision over Ukrainization.
e. Immediately switch office work in Soviet bodies and cooperative societies, and all newspapers and magazines in the Ukrainized raions of the Northern Caucasus from Ukrainian to Russian, as being more understandable to Kuban residents. Also prepare and change the language of instruction in schools to Russian by the autumn. The CC and SNK oblige the Territory Party and Executive Committees to urgently examine and improve the composition of school teachers in the Ukrainized raions.
f. In cancellation of the old resolution, allow the delivery of goods to Ukrainian villages and grant Comrades Kosior and Chubar the right to suspend the delivery of goods to especially backward raions until they fulfill the grain procurement plan.
Chairman of the SNK USSR Viacheslav Molotov (Skriabin)
Secretary of the CC VKP(b) Joseph Stalin
Original document in Russian archives: RGASPI. F. 17, op. 3. d. 2025, l. 42-34.
Published version: Tragedia sovetskoi derevni. Vol. 3. Pp. 576-577.