2003 WRITING COMPETITION *
FAMINE-GENOCIDE IN UKRAINE, 1932-1933
This year 2003, marks the 70th anniversary of the Famine-Genocide, which took place in Ukraine 1932-1933. Stalin and the soviet occupying forces deliberately starved to death millions and millions of innocent men, women and children.
As one of the most devastating yet least understood tragedies of the 20th century, it has almost totally disappeared from the public consciousness. The victims deserve a place in history and in our memory. Canada became home to many famine survivors after the Second World War, and although this generation is passing away, their children still carry the memory of their parents' nightmares.
This writing competition offers an opportunity for students to write about the Famine-Genocide in order to help raise public awareness.
Based on historical facts of the 1932-33 Famine Genocide of Ukraine, you may chose to write in any of the following categories:
- Historical short fiction
- Historical research essay
- Newspaper article
- Newspaper editorial
- Interview / biography with survivor
1st Prize - $500.00 sponsored by Prometheus Foundation
2nd Prize - $300.00 sponsored by Prometheus Foundation
3rd Prize - $200.00 sponsored by Ukrainian Canadian Professional and Business Association of Toronto
Winning entries as well as honourable mentions may be published in English/Ukrainian newspapers, magazines, web sites
- Language - English or Ukrainian
- Length - 1,000 - 2,500 words for manuscripts and 400 - 800 words for poems
- Printed on one side of 8 ½ x 11 white paper, 1” margins
- Electronic or diskette submissions will not be accepted
- Spacing – double for essays, single for poetry
- Page number and title/keyword must appear at the top of each page
- Submit two copies
- Your name should NOT appear anywhere on the manuscript or poem, as all judging will be anonymous.
- Age category – 14 to 19 years of age
- Must be resident of Canada
- Entries must be received / postmarked no later than December 31, 2003
- May not be the collective work of more than one author
- Must include rough copies/outlines from inception to final submission
- Entries must be originals, unpublished and not be considered elsewhere at the time of submission
- Research essays must include footnotes and bibliography
- Entries will not be returned
- One entry per competitor
- Competition release form (attached) must be completed, including parental/guardian signature
- All entries will be judged anonymously (name of student will be unknown)
- Decision of judges will be final
- Submission must include a signed copy of the attached release form as well as a cover letter with the following information:
- full name
- phone number
- name of attending school and
- current grade.
Famine-Genocide Commemorative Committee
Ukrainian Canadian Congress
145 Evans Avenue
Toronto, ON M8Z 5X8.
attention: Writing Competition.
The Famine-Genocide Commemorative Committee reserves the right not to award a prize or any prizes when submissions do not meet competition standards or criteria.
Sponsored by the
Famine-Genocide Commemorative Committee,
Ukrainian Canadian Congress, National
FAMINE-GENOCIDE WRITING COMPETITION RELEASE FORM
I, ______________________________________________ (first and last name), certify that the manuscript/ poem I submit is my original work. I agree to accept as final and be bound by the judges’ decisions. I understand that any questions regarding the interpretation of the rules, and any matters relating to the competition which are not specifically covered by the rules will be decide solely at the discretion of the competition officials.
I understand and agree that my manuscript / poem will be subjectively evaluated. I will hold harmless and indemnify the Famine Genocide Commemorative Committee of the Ukrainian Canadian Congress, National, its agents, employees and volunteers for any and all losses, costs or expense incurred from any dispute arising from my participation in the competition. The Committee may post my submission on their web site or reprint it in a newspaper, magazine or other publication.
I acknowledge by my signature below that I have read, understand and agree to be bound by the rules. I understand that my competition submission will not be accepted without my signature below.
Signature of competitor:________________________________
Signature of parent/guardian:____________________________
* Canadian Residents, 14 - 19 years old, only